We scoured the internet looking for landscaping fads for 2022 and here’s the verdict: with some folks still working remotely and others looking to unwind after their commute home, we still see homeowners yearning for the perfect outdoor space.
Our landscape designers realize that New Orleans homeowners want to transform their outdoor living space into distinctive, enjoyable retreats that express their personalities while giving them a place to enjoy the sun and recoup from our hectic world. The trends we identify below are simple ways to get you into your yard, while creating a calm place to relax and entertain.
- Courtyards: Concrete patios are being replaced with pavers and blue flagstone with a clean and repetitive design. Landscape designs are being stepped up with raised beds, benches, and stairways this year. Consider adding a bi-level patio to your space allowing steps to transition guests from one level to another or to separate eating areas and entertaining areas. Varying levels creates visual interest and defines specific areas of the overall landscape, creating a relaxing outdoor space.
- Front Yard Renovations: Curb appeal has been rising as homeowners are caring more about the way their front landscaping looks. Overgrown, outdated shrubbery and front walkways are being replaced. Pollinator plantings are being installed. Some are even removing a part of their manicured lawn, opting for hospitable spaces for gathering with neighbors. Curb appeal matters to homeowners especially now when it’s a seller’s market. Read more about how landscaping can positively impact your home’s resale value.
- Pollinator Friendly Gardens: To save our bees, pollinator gardens are a growing craze we do not see going away anytime soon. A small garden bed or even a few containers dedicated to our pollinators can serve as an oasis to attract hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees. And don’t forget the milkweed for the caterpillars! Without our pollinator friends, who will pollinate our flowers and fruit? These busy insects are also an irreplaceable food source for songbirds and other creatures. Let’s create spaces for them to thrive and focus on reducing our reliance on pesticides, the number one reason for a dwindling pollinator population.
- Outdoor Lighting: With a wide variety of LED and solar options available, homeowners are interested in more extensive lighting around their home. Why be left in the dark when daylight ends? With the right lighting, the play of light and shadow can also give your favorite trees and shrubs an entirely new look. Lighting can be used to create a mood, offer security and provide much needed light to task areas. We have a lighting expert that we team up with to ensure your lighting and landscaping complement one another.
- Well-manicured Lawn: Professional lawn edging and maintenance are becoming increasingly popular amongst busy homeowners. Well-manicured lawns stand out and create a sense of calm for many of our clients. Another major benefit is that professional lawn care services means consistent care. With a regular schedule, you can always feel confident knowing your lawn will never grow tall nor weeds will ever take over your flower beds. Even when you go on vacation or take long business trips, your home’s lawn will be well-maintained and cared for.
Remember, whatever your next project is a well executed plan is always key. A master plan is imperative to make the best use of your outdoor space and to keep your project within budget. We always work with our clients in phases to ensure their dream landscape comes together over time.